Welcome to Careers
Careers Education at The Suthers School
The Suthers School is determined to ensure that all pupils are prepared for their future pathways by equipping them with the knowledge, skills and attitudes they need to make informed decisions about the choices open to them, and to make a successful transition from education to employment. To enable them to do this, students at The Suthers School are provided with a range of encounters and experiences designed to raise their career aspirations and awareness, build employability skills, explore career options and develop essential planning skills. Their preparedness for the world of work will be underpinned by a relentless focus on the five key character strengths of TORCH and an enrichment programme founded on six pillars of personal development.
We are ambitious for all pupils and careers education at The Suthers School will include carefully planned milestone events for each year group in order to sequentially develop our pupils’ understanding of future opportunities. Examples of such events include the ‘Day in the life of a Sixth Former’ experience for our Year 7s, our annual visit to University of Nottingham for Year 8, Oxbridge and World Skills Live experiences for Year 9s and Work Experience Week for Year 10.
In addition to the above, pupils at The Suthers School are also supported by a broad range of other measures including (but in no way limited to):
- The Suthers School’s involvement with the Careers and Enterprise Network
- A planned programme of careers education from Year 7 onwards delivered through the Personal Development curriculum, assemblies and Personal Development Days
- Opportunity to engage with nationally-recognised programmes including the Enactus Schools Programme (delivered in association with Capital One), WE Schools, the Duke of Edinburgh Award and Youth Sports Leaders Award.
- Annual programme of visits from industry experts as well as award-winning authors and inspirational and motivational speakers from a range of backgrounds.
- An extended school day which provides guaranteed access to a cohesive enrichment programme founded upon six pillars of personal development
- Access to independent advice and guidance through the National Careers Service and the Trust Careers Lead (a Level 7 qualified careers adviser)
Our CEIAG programme is reviewed every year in line with recommended Career Frameworks including the Gatsby Benchmarks. These Benchmarks define all elements of an excellent careers programme and we are committed to meeting all eight benchmarks by 2020 in line with the statutory guidance published by the Department of Education in January 2018. Indeed, we are keen to develop further links with local and regional employers and would welcome contact from businesses looking to build a sustainable relationship with the school.
- Local designer leads creative lessons
Timico’s Head of Creative visited the school during the autumn term (Whole School - 11/01/2021)
- Letter for private instrumental tuition
The Suthers School is now offering private instrumental tuition (Music - 08/11/2020)
- Year 6 Virtual Open Event
Thursday 8th October 2020 (Whole School - 23/09/2020)
- Suthers on BBC and ITV news
Media coverage of school initiative to supply free sanitary products to pupils (Whole School - 21/01/2020)