Welcome to Art
In Year 7 students will be introduced to a broad range of new techniques, materials, artists and themes. These experiences will set the foundations for developing as an effective artist and creative thinker.
Students will work through three different topics and engage in practical tasks, discussion, group work and homework projects. Each theme is designed to develop a balance of practical skills, knowledge and understanding. Students will experiment with both 2D and 3D formats and explore techniques including painting, printing, collage and sculpture. Drawing is seen as a fundamental art skill, which is encouraged and developed across all year groups. In year 7 students begin to develop a more realistic style of drawing and are taught the importance of keen observation, accurate line and use of tone. In their first terms at The Suthers School, students will be taught and assessed on their ability to:
- Understand and identify the formal elements of art; tone, line, form, shape, texture and colour.
- How to make use of a wide range of tonal and shading techniques, be able to discuss tone and formal drawn elements used by themselves and others.
- How to draw from observation, developing an understanding of proportion and scale.
- A clear understanding of colour theory with the ability to identify primary, secondary, tertiary and complementary colours as well as the ability to confidently mix colours.
- How to scale up a drawing using the grid techniques
- Understand a range of reasons, motivations and incentives for making a drawing.
- Gain confidence in a range of mark making techniques.
- Gain understanding of artists in how their create their work, then using these skills to create a response in the style of the artist, as well as the ability to use art terminology to describe and analysis the work.
- How to make 3D sculptures using team work
- How to work collaboratively to create a final piece.